Oracle insiders stated Jason Maynard, the corporate’s new advertising and marketing group chief, is tasked with reducing prices and has been dubbed ‘hatchet man.’
This submit first appeared in 10 Issues in Tech, a publication by Insider that brings you all the most recent tech information & scoops — delivered day by day to your inbox. Join right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. Tasked with reducing prices, Oracle’s new advertising and marketing staff chief has been dubbed “hatchet man.” Oracle’s advertising and marketing staff “imploded” following layoffs and the departure of its CMO this summer time. NetSuite exec Jason Maynard was tapped to supervise the brand new, slimmed down group — however some insiders are skeptical.
- Maynard’s new directive is to maintain prices down, present and former staff stated. With a background in finance and a laser-focus on income, sources say Maynard often is the proper individual, on the proper time, to steer Oracle’s gross sales operations and advertising and marketing.
- Nonetheless, some staff have raised considerations, citing his lack of communication and enterprise experience: Since Maynard’s appointment as the top of Income Operations, he has solely had one name along with his employees, in keeping with an individual accustomed to the state of affairs.
- That lack of communication has contributed to the “full chaos” sources described to Insider following widespread layoffs in August.
Meet Oracle’s “hatchet man.”
In different information:
2. It is a horrible time to purchase a brand new iPhone. When you’re fascinated by shopping for a brand new iPhone, do not — at the very least not but. The corporate is anticipated to announce its latest telephones subsequent month, and the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 must be considerably cheaper afterwards. What you need to know.
3. Amazon’s “Lord of the Rings” sequence may decide the corporate’s streaming future. Insiders stated that if the $1 billion mission misses the mark, the studio could also be in retailer for an existential disaster. Inside Amazon Studios’ make-or-break second.
4. “Overwhelming demand” crashed MoviePass’s servers. Simply days after it introduced its Labor Day return, MoviePass stated 30,000 folks tried to enroll in its waitlist — inflicting its servers to crash for two-and-a-half hours. Extra on MoviePass’s technical points.
5. EV startups’ desires of rivaling Tesla have change into a “crapshoot.” As startups get hammered by problem after problem, traders are starting to lose endurance — and insiders say there is no Elon Musk coming to the rescue. A have a look at the “good storm” that would sink EV startups.
6. Recruiters are pouncing on VMware staff. Following Broadcom’s announcement that it deliberate to accumulate the agency, opponents like AWS and Google started poaching from the agency extra aggressively. Staff describe an “onslaught” of recruiter emails.
7. Elon Musk’s SpaceX and T-Cellular are teaming as much as hyperlink satellites to cellphones, “eliminating useless zones worldwide.” The businesses say the brand new service will present protection to “places beforehand unreachable by conventional cell indicators.” Musk additionally said on Twitter that Tesla vehicles will be capable of connect with the brand new Starlink satellites. This is the most recent.
8. Seventeen states might observe California in banning the sale of gas-powered vehicles. California is anticipated to formally cross a rule banning the sale of latest gas-powered vehicles and vans within the state by 2035, and greater than one-third of US states might quickly observe its lead. These states could also be subsequent.
Odds and ends:
9. Netflix subscribers now have free entry to over two dozen video games. Accounts now embody entry to Netflix Video games, a set of titles — unique video games like Stranger Issues: 1984 — that you would be able to play on iPhone, iPad, or Android with out adverts. This is easy methods to obtain them and begin enjoying.
10. Apple AirTags vs. Tile trackers — how do the 2 stack up? Each gadgets are compact Bluetooth trackers that assist you to discover misplaced objects. We broke down every gadget’s options and value to see how they evaluate.
Maintain up to date with the most recent tech information all through your day by trying out The Refresh from Insider, a dynamic audio information temporary from the Insider newsroom. Hear right here.
Curated by Jordan Parker Erb in New York. (Suggestions or suggestions? E-mail [email protected] or tweet @jordanparkererb.) Edited by Hallam Bullock (tweet @hallam_bullock) in London.